Monday 30 April 2018

6th Sunday of Easter - Year B

Acts 10:25-26,34-35,44-48; 1 John 4:7-10; John 15:9-17
When teenagers fall in love for the first time they find themselves suddenly transported to a strange, new, wonderful world in which everything is different. It’s as though they have been born all over again and discover that all the many concerns and interests of their life now revolve about a new centre – a centre with an irresistibly strong magnetic attraction – a centre called Lucy, or Bill, or Tom.
And driven by this new found love they begin to use strange new language – ‘You are the light of my life. You are my sunshine. You are the wind beneath my wings.’ What they are trying to say, I suppose, is: ‘You are my everything!’
Yes, what we love is our everything. Love gives life an ultimate meaning and claims our every desire.
We, who are no longer teenagers, know that there is more to the story, much more. We know that love, so beautiful – is also fragile - and can be disappointed, hurt, and even betrayed. And if we are honest, we know that we, too, are quite capable of doing the hurting, the disappointing and the betraying. What is it that goes wrong?
It seems to me that when we fall in love we begin at the same time a kind of struggle, a combat with ourselves. Perhaps we might call it a struggle with self-love.
In common slang it’s called ‘getting over yourself’ and it’s a lifelong battle – to love the other more than we love ourselves. In this battle we can expect many defeats but also, hopefully, many victories.
Every relationship is the same. As it grows in intimacy it uncovers in the other areas of woundedness, incompleteness, immaturity, and even sinfulness. These are areas which are not so loveable and love faces a choice. Do I allow my love to be disappointed and hurt – do I continue to love – or do I take back my love?
We might call it the ‘pain threshold’ of love which over the course of a lifetime will normally be strengthened and refined. All around us are marriages and friendships that have endured and flourished over 40, 50, 60 or more years – powerful testimony to the invincible power of love.
In our love for God, too, we meet with the incomprehensible, the seemingly contradictory and the painful. We will be forced to question, to reconsider and then either to take back our love or to reaffirm it, breaking through its limits to a new level of trust and hope.
It is in those bewildering moments of contradiction, when the God who claims to love us seems to be deserting us, even hurting us, that we feel rising up within us the overwhelming desire to turn our backs on him, to punish him. Then we need to hear again his whispered plea: Remain in my love.
In other words, trust me, stay with me, don’t desert me, love me: so that my own joy may be in you and your joy be complete.
When we are tempted to desert the Lord, leaving his people, removing our presence from among them, we do well to remember the words of Job (19:25) who was sorely tested by the Lord in every way. Job complained bitterly but in the end spoke the immortal words: I know that my redeemer lives, and that in the end he will stand on the earth.
St Peter put it another way: Lord, where would we go? You have the words of everlasting life.
And, of course, if we consider carefully, we come to acknowledge what the song says: ‘Richer than gold is the love of my Lord. Better than splendour and wealth.
So let us love the Lord through thick and thin, in good times and in bad, for better or worse, in sickness and in health – so that, in the words of todays' Prayer over the Gifts: purified by your graciousness, we may be conformed to the mysteries of your mighty love.
Only then will our love be worthy of the one we love.