Friday 15 December 2017

3rd Sunday of Advent - Year B

Isaiah 61:1-2, 10-11; 1 Thessalonians 5:16-24; John 1:6-8, 19-28

Why do they call this Sunday ‘Joy’ Sunday? What is this joy? Have you ever felt it? Let me tell you about someone who has.
Jacques Fesch was born in France on the 6th April, 1930. Twenty-seven years later he was sentenced to die by guillotine for the murder of a policeman. In fact, Jacques was the last person in France to die in this way. A short account of his life and death is given by K.V. Turvey on the Crisis Magazine website.
"In February 1954, Fesch had entered the premises of a Jewish moneychanger in the Paris stock exchange. The young man had bludgeoned the merchant with a revolver. As he had done so, the gun discharged injuring the attacker. The older man was left lying stunned and bloodied as his assailant fled carrying a large sum of money. A policeman, on seeing Fesch, ordered him to stop. The young man turned and fired, and then watched as Vergnes’ body slumped dead. Another man grabbed at the killer, and he was also shot and badly wounded. In the confusion that followed, and now desperate to escape, Fesch ran to a nearby subway station. He discharged another shot when tackled by a retired police inspector at its entrance, only this time it narrowly missed; and, with that, Fesch was finally detained.
On being taken to La Santé Prison, Fesch was immediately placed in solitary confinement. To be alone for over three years could drive any man mad; in Fesch’s case, it brought him to his senses.
As with most of the prisoners awaiting execution, stripped of everything—both materially and emotionally—in the darkness and emptiness of a bare prison cell, the lethal sentence at times could appear to be a release from a living death. Fortunately for Fesch, what happened next was a “liberation” of a different sort. All the despair, anger and bitterness began to subside as, in its place, he found himself being gently filled with mercy, forgiveness, and love. His prison letters recorded this for those with whom he regularly corresponded, telling as they did of a man emerging from darkness into light. A process begun in October 1954, on reading a book about Our Lady, had, by March 1955, inspired a change in Fesch as evidenced in this following piece of his writing:
At the end of my first year in prison, a powerful wave of emotion swept over me, causing deep and brutal suffering. Within the space of a few hours, I came into possession of faith, with absolute certainty. I believed … Grace came to me. A great joy flooded my soul, and above all a deep peace.
The night before his execution, alone in his cell, a final combat was to take place, with Fesch writing the following:
Suddenly the thought comes: no matter what I do, Paradise is not for me! Satan is behind this. He wants to discourage me. I throw myself at Mary’s feet… . I am going to recite my rosary and the prayers for the dying, then I shall entrust my soul to God…. But, good Jesus, help me!
On Tuesday, October 1—the feast of St. Therese of Lisieux—the prisoner awoke in the middle of the night. He asked a guard what time it was: 3 am was the reply. He asked the guard for a light, because, as he informed him, he had now to make ready. The prisoner then made his bed, before sitting with his Missal in hand to await the arrival of the Chaplain. Fr. Devoyod duly came at 5:30 am. The prisoner then made his last Confession, and received Holy Communion. Thereafter, as they spoke briefly, the prisoner calmly told the priest that he offered his life for the conversion of his father, for those he loved, and for the man he had killed; and then, between them, a profound silence ensued. Soon after, those tasked to undertake the sentence of the court entered the cell, and the hands of the prisoner were tied behind his back, before, with the priest following, he was led to the waiting guillotine. When the prisoner was bid to mount the scaffold, he turned to the priest with his last words: “The crucifix, Father… the crucifix.” It was offered to him, and he kissed it… . The blade rose before its swift descent, and with that a life was concluded. Later, the broken body was gathered and buried."
I began this reflection with a couple of questions: What is this joy? Have you ever felt it?
The prophet Isaiah in our First Reading felt it. He bursts out: I exult for joy in the Lord, my soul rejoices in my God … . And do you remember why?  …for he has clothed me in the garments of salvation…
I guess that says it all: He has clothed me in the garments of salvation. The garment of salvation is, of course, the grace of God – a share in his own divine life and the certainty of heaven – which comes with sorrow for sin, a readiness confess and make amends – a change of life.
Grace came to me. A great joy flooded my soul, and above all a deep peace. Jacques experienced that the love and mercy of God is greater than any sin. The silence and solitude of his cell, the prayers of those who loved him, the motherly intercession of the Blessed Virgin, the prayers of St Therese and his own surrender to the realities of his life had opened his tortured heart to the merciful Jesus.
To finish let us recall the words of the Entrance Antiphon: Rejoice in the Lord always; again I say, rejoice. Indeed, the Lord is near.